Union Pacific 10-6 Sleeper #1446
The Pacific Union was built in June 1950 as a 10-6 sleeper (10 roomettes, 6 bedrooms) by the Budd Company in Philadelphia, PA for the Union Pacific. It was built with no car number and named the Pacific Union, and although it was a stainless steel car, it was painted in UP’s two-tone grey scheme. Just two years later (on May 23, 1952), the car was repainted into solid UP Armour Yellow with red striping and lettering, a light grey roof, and silver trucks. In April of 1970, the car was numbered #1446. From its delivery, the Pacific Union was lettered “PULLMAN” in its letterboard until the discontinuance of Pullman sleeper service in 1970, when the lettering was removed entirely, leaving only the small "UNION PACIFIC" lettering in the upper corner of the car's letterboard.
Amtrak took over all national interstate passenger service in May of 1971. With much of its passenger equipment now surplus, the Union Pacific sold the Pacific Union to Amtrak in December of 1971. The car became Amtrak #2639 but retained its name. The Pacific Union had its yellow paint stripped off in favor of its natural stainless steel finish, and a simple Amtrak red, white, and blue windowband was applied. In January of 1980, Amtrak completely rebuilt the Pacific Union, re-upholstering and re-carpeting much of the interior, carpeting the walls, and removing the as-built steam heat, replacing it with head-end power (HEP) and electric heat. The car was repainted with the newer style Amtrak windowband and renumbered #2890 at this time, and it kept this number until it was retired by Amtrak in 1995. The car was sold into private ownership, and was acquired by Webb Rail in 2018.